Trinity Past & Present
Trinity Episcopal Church
251 Danielson Pike
North Scituate, RI 02857
(see directions & map below)
E-Mail: [email protected]
Web Site: www.trinityepiscopalonline.org
Rector: Rev. Dr. Pamela S. Gregory
Tuesday through Friday
8:00 am - 1:00 pm
Deadline: Wednesdays 10:00 am
From I-95, take the US-6 ramp. Keep left at the fork in the ramp and merge
onto US-6 West. Follow Route 6 West to the Route 101/Route 6 fork (just after McDonald's). Bear left at light onto Route 6, passing through the village of Scituate. Church is
ahead 1 mile on right just outside village of North Scituate.
Click on the MapBlast
button below for a zoomable map.
Our church history starts around 1860 in the township of Richmond, now under many feet of water at the bottom of Scituate Reservoir.
The parish that had assembled then built the first Trinity Church in 1864. It started well but began to decline in the early 1900s and was torn down in 1916 to prepare the land for the
flooding of what would become the Scituate Reservoir. The church disbanded.
In 1943, the church was resurrected with the help of parish members, the diocese, and Retired Rev. Dudley Tyng, Ph.D. Folks
gathered first in homes, then in the North Scituate Community House for Sunday services. Later they moved to a small store on Silk Lane that had been used earlier as a dance hall, movie theatre, and Roman Catholic
In 1948, plans were made to build a new building on land deeded by the City of Providence from its reservoir property to make
amends for having destroyed the first church in 1916. Plans for the field stone church were drawn by Harry Mang, a RISD student, using
stones from local farm walls. Much of the work and materials was donated, saving the parish a great deal of money - the construction cost $20,000, nowhere near what it
would have cost without donations of services and materials.
On September 17, 1950, the church bell rang (from a locomotive, a gift from the New Haven Railroad), the
choir sang, and clergy, members, and friends entered the doors of the new Trinity Church on Danielson Pike. Fr. Edward Swanson, age 26, was newly ordained and assigned as this congregation of 85 families' first
vicar. During the next 20 years, for numerous reasons, many vicars came and many vicars went.
In 1960, the people of St. Timothy's, unable to support their small parish, joined Trinity Church. In
September 1970, our Mission became a Parish, with Fr. Herbert Skelly as its first priest, after serving as vicar since 1964. In 1971, Trinity Church was admitted as a self-supporting parish into the Diocese
of Rhode Island with the Rev. James Frink as first rector.
In 1993, a $200,000 renovation and addition enlarged
the church to its present size, adding much needed space for a growing congregation. It was an all-out parish effort with talented members rendering architect plans, holding pre
-dawn and late-night meetings, handcrafting pews, selecting carpet and wood stain, moving stuff, stuff, and more stuff, and practicing patience. Who can forget all those
weeks of Sunday services in Aldrich Hall - complete with altar, folding chairs, and real community spirit. At last on Sunday, August 30, 1992 the newly expanded Trinity Church
was dedicated (and it's already paid off).
In 1995, The Church of the Messiah in Foster was no longer able to keep the doors of
their house of worship open. The people of Trinity opened their arms and hearts to these 50 families - and the two became one.
After giving himself to the people of Trinity Church for 25 years, Fr. James Frink retired in
July, 1996. We thank God for the blessing of having Jim serve as our spiritual leader and friend those many wonderful years.
Our House of Worship
Located on the Danielson Pike, just outside of the village of North Scituate, nestled
among towering pines, sits the stone church, rectory, and parish hall entrusted to us by our Lord.
The inside of the church is a blend of the new with the old. The decor is simple and
inviting. There are 28 pews (plus choir pews), our newest ones handcrafted by a parishioner. The altar in the front of the church is highlighted by a large cathedral window
framed by outside whispering pines. The sacristy is bright and airy with ample custom cabinets and closets for storage of vestments and sacred vessels. The undercroft houses
the rector's office, church secretary's office, choir room, nursery, conference room/library, main multi-purpose room, mini kitchen, and bazaar storage closet. The main room is our coffee hour mingling space.
Many parish and civic activities have taken place in our parish hall over the years. Built in
1962, with the idea that perhaps someday a larger church might be built upon its foundation, Aldrich-Graham Hall is a separate building set into the ground, with one of the
two parking lots to one side, the church to its west, and the other sides abutting wooded acreage.
The main activity that takes place in Aldrich-Graham Hall is Young People's Christian Formation and Education. With recently purchased upholstered room dividers, rooms are
easily set up for classes and taken down for hall functions. One of the main drawing factors to Aldrich-Graham Hall is the very large and well-equipped kitchen. Complete with
two refrigerators, a freezer, a commercial stove, and a butcher block center island, as well as well-stocked cabinets, the kitchen gets plenty of use for all kinds of suppers and
social events. Civic groups such as the Boy Scouts, Rainbow Girls, and High School Band often sponsor suppers here.
The rectory, located to the west of the church, was built in the early 60's. This
comfortable beige ranch underwent a facelift in the summer of 1996 ... new siding, a new roof, new kitchen cabinets and appliances, refinished floors, finished basement, a deck on
the back overlooking the woods, and updated landscaping. There are three bedrooms, 1-1/2 baths, a living room, kitchen, recreation room, two fireplaces, and a one-car garage.
Plus, it's a short walk through the pine grove to the church!
The Thrift Shop
Part of Trinity's OUTREACH ministry, this great little thrift shop is run by the Trinity
Episcopal Church Women's group (ECW), a very dedicated group of women who volunteer to sort, price, organize and sell gently used items. The shop is located on the outskirts of
the Scituate Village in the Scituate Hardware Plaza (across from the Scituate Medical Building). Clothing and footwear are available in many sizes for infants, children, men and
women. We also have jewelry and accessories to make an ensemble complete.
For those with "new additions" to the family, we may have infant products (i.e., bottles,
etc). And if you come at the "right time," you may find infant carriers, playpens and highchairs. We also have toys, games, puzzles, plush animals and dolls. Also available are
housewares, bedding, curtains, sewing products, and much, much more. Items "not up to snuff" to the Shop's criteria or sold in a timely fashion are sent to the homeless and others in need.
Twice a year, once toward the end of the winter season and once toward the end of the
summer season, the thrift shop holds a "fill-a-bag" sale. Fill a paper grocery bag for $5.00. What a deal! Come in often to take advantage of the In-Store Specials ... and watch
for other special sales such as half-price or Buy One, Get One Free! The Thrift Shop is not only full of bargains, but fellowship, too! Many stop by to chat and stay in touch!
"Come and explore. You'll be amazed at what you find when you walk through the door!"
Some 300 families strong, we are a family-oriented, informal, caring parish who come
together to worship God, enjoy the fellowship of each other, and serve the needs of our brothers and sisters in Christ (spiritual, emotional, physical, and material). While the
majority of parishioners are from Scituate, many come from bordering communities - Glocester, Foster, Smithfield, Johnston, and others. We are a dedicated group, ready to
do service for the church and for others outside the church.
With much more in common than not (we are mainly working middle-class and not
especially culturally diverse), we are a parish that respects each other's differences in other areas. There is a nice mix of young to old, with plenty of intergenerational
interaction during services, church meetings and other functions. We support each other in times of sorrow and in times of joy. We are a family.